La Luna Has Left the Mooring
Ravishing Is In the Eye of the Beholder

48 Hours

We've been sailing for just over 24 hours, and things are going well. It's a beautiful day. The winds are generally 12-15 with gusts to 2. We have the main and jib reefed a bit, and the seas are uncomfortably from the south, so we are lurching to port and starboard a bit. More than a bit when the occasional larger wave hits us broadside. Still no worries. It's a lovely sunny day and the solar panels are doing their charging thing. EW wanted to set the staysail as he likes to set the staysail and said it would even out the lurching. I asked him to wait until tomorrow as we are tired.

It always takes us a few days to get with the routine at sea. We don't sleep well for the first 24 hours. Our crossings last year weren't made as far south during the summer, so this time we can add heat into the mix. To prevent sea water from washing down below in storms, EW has made it a practice to remove the wind dorades forward of those in the Master Stateroom. Since we spend most of our waking and sleeping moments below in the Main Salon, it can get a tad hot. I had a hissy fit just before the 1400 change of watch today resulting in EW putting one of the four vents back in. It's made a difference and I will continue to feed him on this journey.

Since it is just we two, I've again implemented the two-meal plan. I will suggest or prepare breakfast and prepare lupper between 2 and 4. Other than that, we are each on our own for snacks, left-overs, and treats. Today I prepared a salad meal as I was sweating gumdrops (as my mom used to say) and not in the mood to cook. Also, I had planned a number of non-stove meals because I knew it would be hot. (I was born at night but not last night.) In honor of our "Cheers" in St. Thomas, the Tickles Bar and Restaurant in Crown Bay, I made their lovely beet salad. That has been my go-to meal there for the past few months: Lettuce, beets, cranberries, feta cheese, candied walnuts, and a lovely balsamic dressing. For the on-board version, I toast the walnuts in the iron skillet and added a dab of honey to sweeten them. The meal was a success. There was more air moving below when I undertook the easy clean-up, and thus ended our first 24 hours at sea.

As the seagull flies, we only covered 110 miles toward our goal. Right now we are tracking directly to the check-in point at Guna Yala, but are a bit south of the rhumb line. At some point we may jibe to the north a bit as I don't want to go too close to the South American coast. As for the "48" hours in the title. We have watched other cruising friends prepare for a passage, and I'm always amazed at how calm they appear. How unflappable. We are flappable. We flap. We get things done but we (particularly me) are not always calm, cool, and collected. (Another term my mom used a lot. Usually in despair when discussing my inability to remain calm, cool, and collected.)

Frankly, I was amazed we completed everything, much more easily than I had expected 72 hours ago, and that we actually left on Wednesday. One of the things that helped is that we each created lists for crossings. We are organized, you just can't always tell. Still, despite two trips to shore -- toting garbage both times -- when our neighbors stopped by to say "Bon Voyage" we handed them a small bag of plastic garbage I'd failed to get rid of. They were unflappable with that request. They also gave us a gift, Navaho Ghost Beads to ward off evil spirits. We've hung them around our totem, D'Irv and are hoping for a double whammy of evil sprit warding off.

It is 1721 on Thursday June 11. We are currently located at 17.01.67 North and 066.27.364 West, heading 245 at 4.7-5.4 knots. That 245 is lovely. If that keeps up we won't have to jibe. Life is good on La Luna.


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

The comments to this entry are closed.