When to Say "Thank-you"
Friends at Sea

Setting Sail for Luperon, Dominican Republic

We had planed to leave Georgetown on Sunday, and head for Conception Cay where we hope to be able to spend a few hours snorkeling before we head south and east. Our goal is to get to Luperon as quickly as possible, provision, and make our way east to St. Thomas. This morning, EW went on the Georgetown Net and asked for help regarding the SSB. Over six other boaters responded so today we are going to get some help to see whether we can get this thing working. If so, I will post a blog and let you know that it came in via Sailmail.

NOTE: Our boat cards have a typo. It seems I automatically type "snailmail" instead of Sailmail. How foolish. Blond moment.

We’ve been looking at charts and reading “Passages South The Thornless Path to Windward” by Bruce Van Sant. There’s a lot of information in this book, but I have to read it in small doses as the author’s style is a tad grating to me. (I call him the curmudgeon.) He may be one, but he’s smart and very experienced in sailing the Bahamas and the Caribbean. We’d be fools not to heed him. (And he does indead have that opinion.)

Depending on the prevailing winds, this trip will take 5 days to 2 or 3 weeks. I’m hoping for 5 days, but that would be a “once in a lifetime” event. It’s more likely that we will do one and two day hops, some overnight, in order to make our way down the islands into the prevailing wind and current. In that case, we’ll be able to get onto wifi in some harbors, as we may have to wait for weather windows every few days.

We will not be foolish. We’ll be careful, and we’ll stay safe. We promise.

In the meantime, our instructor for the Total Immersion Swim Class just emailed two photos – one from the day long class and one from our optional practice session the next day. Great class. Beautiful location. What’s not to like?

Feb. 17, 2011 T TI 2nd day


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Travis Swaim

Barb, Sophi and I will be in the Virgin's around 12Mar.... do you think a meet up would be possible? we are sailing a Banjer 37 from Culebra to St Thomas/St John/Tortola and Jost Van Dyke then back to Puerto Rico sometime around the 22nd. VACATION!!!!!!

The comments to this entry are closed.